Once you have determined if your business type is eligible for certification, there are four bottom-line criteria for EnviroStars certification. You must:
- Dispose of all hazardous wastes properly
- Store hazardous materials and wastes safely
- Have documentation for all hazardous wastes managed off-site and Material Safety Data Sheets for hazardous materials kept on-site
- Have spill materials and a spill response plan posted
To earn a 2-Star rating, the business must meet the above four criteria,
and establish a related goal to work on for the following year. The more proactive a business is in reducing hazardous waste and materials, preventing pollution, and incorporating environmentally sustainable ("greener") activities, the higher the star rating they can earn.
5-Stars demonstrate environmental leadership beyond their own facilities.
Certification standards can be met with:
Submittal of an application worksheet with all required items in place at the business, an on-site consultation and successful completion of a verification visit, a star rating assessment and notification of award by the EnviroStars Program. For more information on eligibility and the certification process.
The application worksheet addresses the following functional areas of a business in order to assess qualification for certification at the three to five star rating levels:
- Cleaning and Spill Prevention
- Product and Waste Storage
- Purchasing and Inventory Management
- Employee Involvement
- Marketing/Public Relations/Awareness
- Tracking and Accountability Systems
- Comprehensive Environmental Protection
- Environment-Related Leadership
*There may be slight variations to standards or functional areas assessed based on current best management practices, available options, and best professional judgment in applying specified industry-specific requirements.